Forest Watch Objectives
Educational Objectives of Forest Watch
- Engage K-12 students in authentic science.
- Engage students in using 21st century scientific and technological tools.
- Enhance students’ critical thinking about science.
- Develop students’ data analysis and communication skills.
- Encourage team-work and inquiry-based learning.
- Meet state and national standards in science, technology and mathematics.
- Build students’ interest in and aptitudes for science, technology and mathematics.
Science Objectives of Forest Watch
- Assess white pine health at both the local and regional level.
- Correlate student biometric measurements with spectral measurements of needles.
- Compare biometric and spectral measurements with tropospheric ozone data.
- Document the use of white pine as a bio-indicator of the health of New England forests.
- Develop a long-term database.
- Assess white pine health using a site index.